N-Vinylacetamide (NVA™ monomer), a nonionic monomer, is soluble in water and various organic solvents, and thus it is polymerizable by a process that can be selected from among various radical polymerization processes depending on the objective. Copolymers of NVA™ monomers can exhibit practical characteristics in addition to those common with the existing hydrophilic polymers.
Fig. Characteristics of NVA™ monomer
|Boiling point||96deg.C (10mmHg)|
||1.05 (20deg.C, solids) ／ 0.946 (55deg.C, liquids)|
|Flashing point||108deg.C (closed chamber)|
Solubility for various solvents and monomers
Solubility of NVA™ monomer in various solvents and vinyl monomers.
Reactivity with other monomers
Monomer Reactivity Ratio of NVA™ monomer
Features in polymerization
Various polymerization processes
- Synthesis of oxetanes and 1,2-aminoalcohols by the use of NVA™ monomer
- The Heck reaction with NVA™ monomer / Application of life science intermediates
- Two-Carbon homologation with NVA™ monomer
- Heck reaction with NVA™ monomer
- Hydroalcoxycarbonylation with NVA™ monomer
- NVA™ aqueous solution is unstable in the presence od acidic condition.
- NVA™ monomer decomposes to generate acetaldehyde and acetamide.
- NVA™ monomer must be stored away from moisture.
- Carefully read MSDS(material safety data sheet) issued by SHOWA DENKO K.K. before handling or storing.
Cautions for storage
A cool, dark place storage in the dry state in a sealed container
Publication number in Japanese official gazette
Functional Chemicals Division/ Specialty Chemicals Department /Presonal Care Group
The data shown below are representative figures. They are not guaranteed values.